I’ve moved to WordPress: http://bobtisdale.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sorry About The Lack of Posts

I’ve moved to WordPress.  This post can now be found at Sorry About The Lack of Posts
#####################
But I had company in over the weekend and I’ve been in a debate over at Deltoid on their Another correction to Duffy thread for the last day or so. It started at comment #16 with cohenite dropping my name. My first comment, #37, comes back to me a number of times, from a number of directions. In case the above link doesn’t work, here’s where I’ve been.
http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2008/12/another_correction_to_duffy.php

I’m holding my own there--I think. No one there wants to explain why a running total of the Trenberth NINO3.4 data, scaled to global temperature with a coefficient from another Trenberth paper, not only mimics the global temperature anomaly curve, but also correlates well with it. Lots of stone throwing. No explanantions.

I’ve got at least 6 posts that I’m working on and will start posting again, hopefully, tomorrow.

Regards

4 comments:

CoRev said...

Bob, quite a discussion. You both got them all in a dither. Getting by the ad homs and ridicule, they made few points against you and Cohers.

Nicely done!

Bob Tisdale said...

CoRev: I'll let some brood and others gloat for tonight. Then I'll be back in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I think you need to provide an explanation in physical terms of how ENSO has an accumulating impact over many years.

I think you've demonstrated there is a lasting impact in the Western Pacific and perhaps the Indian Ocean but for global temperatures and the rest of the oceans, what would explain an accumulation.

In my mind, the next La Nina after an El Nino just would wipe out the accumulation. Energy transferred to the atmosphere by the oceans escapes to space within a few months in any event.

I note there is a slight increasing trend in the Raw Nino 3.4 region temp series over time. Normally, this trend is taken out of the index values so that it is not confused with the global warming signal.

I had to do this in my monthly temp reconstruction.

When the data is detrended, the total accumulation since 1871 is Zero. All the La Ninas balance out the El Ninos.

Using the detrended data, I was able to get a good match with just lagging the impact by 3 months (80 days is probably the accurate number given that ocean temps lag the solstices etc by 80 days.)

Bob Tisdale said...

Bill: I still consider this an oddity, but as I commented over at Deltoid:
...what I do also have is SST data and graphics that illustrate that a sizable portion of the global oceans, the Indian Ocean, responds to the full rise in NINO3.4 SST anomaly during major ENSO events, but responds to only a portion of the subsequent La Nina. This reinforces the thought that ENSO creates step changes in global temperature. BTW, I haven’t found a SST data set that works in the opposite way, and I’ve looked. Here are the graphics.

The Indian Ocean response to significant El Ninos:
http://i38.tinypic.com/iejmtk.jpg

And the Indian Ocean response to the subsequent La Ninas:
http://i33.tinypic.com/15ofb41.jpg

And I also have graphs that illustrate the significant upward step changes in numerous SST subsets due to the 1997/98 El Nino.

Donations

Tips are now being accepted.

Comment Policy, SST Posts, and Notes

Comments that are political in nature or that have nothing to do with the post will be deleted.
####
The Smith and Reynolds SST Posts DOES NOT LIST ALL SST POSTS. I stopped using ERSST.v2 data for SST when NOAA deleted it from NOMADS early in 2009.

Please use the search feature in the upper left-hand corner of the page for posts on specific subjects.
####
NOTE: I’ve discovered that some of the links to older posts provide blank pages. While it’s possible to access that post by scrolling through the history, that’s time consuming. There’s a quick fix for the problem, so if you run into an absent post, please advise me. Thanks.
####
If you use the graphs, please cite or link to the address of the blog post or this website.